New Jersey Emerging Artists: 2021-2022
Deadline: The ability to submit will end August 31, 2021 at Midnight EST
The Monmouth Museum is committed to providing opportunities for New Jersey artists. New Jersey Emerging Artists started in 2007 to give a platform to local artists who have yet to exhibit their work in a solo-show and create a nurturing environment to develop their careers. We have worked with over 70 local artists since the program's inception and it has become a popular staple at our museum.
Each New Jersey Emerging Artists series consists of six monthly solo exhibitions where artists are given a platform to exhibit their work, discuss their process in a gallery talk, and are guided through the stages of a solo exhibition including the installation of the show. Artists are also provided promotional material and an opening reception by the museum.
The focus of the upcoming Emerging Artists Series will be representing the underrepresented in the arts, as it applies to all fields and disciplines. We look to thoughtfully engage a broad group of emerging artists and prioritize diversity in all areas, including gender, age, background, socioeconomic level, sexual orientation, ethnicity, and the special needs community. The focus is to encourage the artistic expression of those artists underrepresented in the art world, at their point of emerging in their next career level as an artist. By creating a platform and providing a voice to these diverse perspectives, the exhibits and their workshops can provide an inclusive and interactive space for artistic exploration and support a collaborative environment for attendees.
- Submissions will be judged on creativity, originality, technique/skill, presentation, and overall quality.
This exhibition opportunity is open to any artist who is a full-time resident of New Jersey, at least 18 years of age, and has not had a solo exhibition at an AAM Accredited Museum
If selected, proof of New Jersey residency is required.
- Artists are required to submit digital images and documents online via their own Submittable account.
- The museum will not accept submissions via email or mail.
- Artwork will be considered in all media.
- Submissions should include 10 images of different artworks per portfolio.
- Images must be representative of the artwork which will be exhibited if you are selected.
- The museum reserves the right to reject work delivered at the time of the exhibition which does not represent the artist's accepted work.
- The submission fee is $20 (per portfolio of 10 artworks). There are no refunds.
- Reproductions of original works in the form of photocopies or commercial prints will not be accepted as show substitutes for original pieces.
- Any work derived from another source must identify and credit the source to avoid copyright infringement.
- Selected artwork must be wired, framed (if media applicable), and ready to hang (no saw-tooth hangers).
- Artwork must be available for the duration of the exhibition.
- Accepted artists may not have another solo museum show in or outside of NJ until after the Emerging Artist show at the Monmouth Museum has closed.
SUBMISSIONS MUST INCLUDE:
- Contact Information (Name, Address, Phone and Email)
- Artist Statement Summary: A 250 word maximum summary of your statement.
- Artist Statement: Written in the first person (no more than 1 page) on the body of work submitted. Focus on how and why you create your art (media, subject matter, technique, inspirations, concepts and vision).
- Please use proper spelling, grammar, and capitalization or you may be asked to rewrite/submit your statement.
- Artwork List (This List must include a unique Title of each artwork, Media, Size (H"xW"), Year completed and Price and be in the same consecutive order of your 10 artwork image submissions).
- 10 Images of different Artwork/s: 300 dpi/ppi Jpeg is the preferred format. However, other formats and resolutions will not exclude you from consideration.
- Files must be named to correspond with your Artwork List before uploading into your submission.
- Image files must be labeled with consecutive numbers from 1 - 10 and saved in the following format:
1_Last name_ First initial_ Title_Media_Year_Price
2_Last name_ First initial_Title_Media_Year_Price
- Submission Fee
- $20 per 10 image portfolio submission
- Your submitted portfolio should be cohesive in artistic vision and media, but not repetitive .
- Remember to photograph the artwork only. Please do not include the frame, glass, or wall and crop the image when needed.
- You must be a full-time NJ resident and identify yourself as such in reference to your artistic career.
- After you make your submission you will receive a confirmation email. Make sure to check your spam folder before resubmitting your portfolio.
- Announcement of Accepted Artists will be: Monday, October 25, 2021 via Submittable by Midnight EST
All NJEAS exhibitions will be held in the Nilson Gallery. All Opening Receptions and Gallery Talks are free and open to the public.
Sale of Artwork:
The Monmouth Museum encourages the sale of exhibited artwork. The Museum will collect the purchase price for all work, take a 30% sales commission and issue a check for the remainder to the artist at the close of their exhibition.
The Museum handles all marketing and press at no cost to the selected artists. The museum reserves the right to use digital images of accepted and exhibited artwork for the purpose of media and website public relations, advertising and promotion of the NJ Emerging Artists.
The artist talk is a one-night event where the artist is required to speak about their art. This will not only allow the artist to practice discussing their art and themes such as process, but increase their visibility and promote the exhibition.
For submission assistance and more information:
Educational Programs Manager